Donations that the Children in Kenya would Love
Kibera School Needs:-pencils, pens, paper, notebooks
-kids books
-posters, teaching aides
-construction paper
-folders, crayons, paints, scissors
-over the counter meds
-baby formula
-legos, puzzles
Church:
-BIBLES =)
-bible stories, Jesus Storybook Bible
-sermon tapes
-books for the Pastor
The following passage is from Joanna who is another MTW intern that went to Kenya last year and will be returning as an intern again this summer:
"They really really need Bibles. That was the biggest need- Imbumi and another pastor, Shikonde, were telling us that the people can't afford to own their own Bibles and may not have access to one, except on Sundays. Some of them lost their Bibles when their homes were burnt down during the violence last January. It makes it so hard for there to be the kind of growth and understanding of who God is without the Bible. Either way, English or Swahili Bibles are good.
I also noticed that the school always needs more pencils and notebook paper. I'm sure they could always use more medicines... (over the counter ones...) and baby formula I mean so many of the mothers there have HIV/AIDS that i'm sure it's a huge need. OH. My favorite thing that I left behind in Kenya was the Jesus Storybook Bible. The kids absolutely LOVED it. Shoes would probably be good... because they have to walk in crap pretty much everyday in the slums. "
There will be a box or something close to a box at the Church starting this Sunday for donations. =)
Tonight I had in my opinion one of the biggest challenges so far in the missionary process... talking in front of my home church. Most people know that my biggest fear is public speaking. I have been praying about my short speech for over a month now. I put a lot of time and effort into it and now it is over. It just goes to show that anyone can "Do Hard Things". (it's a book about how teenagers should do hard things...GREAT FOR ANY TEENAGER BTW) God provided the words tonight and gave me the strength to not freak out or break down while I was up there tonight. Any time I started to get nervous I just remembered "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." God gave me a lot of strength tonight and for that I am very grateful. Thanks to all who came and heard me speak tonight and thanks to all who have contributed so far and those who will contribute in the upcoming weeks. I will be getting all my medicines and shots this Tuesday so keep me in your prayers! =)
In Christ,
LG
No comments:
Post a Comment