Friday 5 June 2009
So it was actually Purity and Pastor Wycliffe (another pastor who works in Kibera with the Makuku’s) who took us to downtown Nairobi. We rode our first public Matatu. It was kind of crazy. I am pretty confident now that Matatus are what at least half of the vehicles are around here. We basically just walked around Nairobi and then ate at an authentic Kenyan food place for lunch. It was a time to relax and sightsee. Downtown Nairobi was VERY clean (no trash on the ground) and so is most of Kenya. Fridays are the most relaxed day because the team pretty much decides what we want to do. =)
Saturday 6 June 2009
Around 230pm Pastor Makuku and his wife took us to the Shuname Shelter. It is the girls’ (and 2-3 boys) home that is led by Caroline and Purity. (and the Makuku’s) In case you didn’t know Shuname was a resting place in the OT. We just hung out with the kids for the most part… playing football (soccer), Frisbee, and guitar/singing. At the end of our time together, we all gathered in a circle and sang different Swahili and English songs. Once we got back to the convent, we practiced our songs for church service tomorrow. That was about it. Another pretty relaxed day in Kenya.
Sunday 7 June 2009
The weather was GREAT today. We went to Kibera for church service again this Sunday. The church didn’t feel like an oven like last week, which was such a blessing. George shared his testimony during Sunday School with the older youth kids. (something all of the interns will probably do before the summer is over) The team sung for Sunday School and church service today. (No autographs please! Haha) The church in Kibera had even more energy and excitement this week than last. It was so lively and encouraging. I love the way the Kenyan people worship. It is so moving. There is singing, drums, clapping, and dancing! Pastor Makuku finished last weeks service today. It was talking about how you can spiritually murder your brother without physically harming him by being angry with him. I had the same translator as last week which was a blessing as well. The smell in Kibera gets worse every time I walk in I think, but I just try to ignore it the best I can because I know my time here is short. I also know that the Kenyans are constantly watching us as we walk in and out of Kibera. The paths we walk are their front porches… their yards. I still can’t imagine what they must be thinking while we are walking by so many of them. I can’t believe a whole week has gone by! My stomach started hurting off and on today but God is good and I know He will take care of me. We ate lunch around 3:30-4pm, which was late even in Kenya. lol.
Monday 8 June 2009
I woke up still not feeling well but I went out to the property to finish digging the holes for the fence. After the team had finished digging the fence holes… we kept digging but this time they were tree holes. (which are about twice as big) Nothing too exciting happened today. I saw a lot of donkey carts, cows, goats, sheep, chicken, etc. O yeah and Coke is HUGE over here. There are a ton of advertisements for coca cola over here… Pepsi does NOT exist. (Life is Good.)
Tuesday 9 June 2009
I am not getting better but I am continuing to trust the Lord for I know that He is good in all things. By the time we arrived in Kibera I felt horrible. Then I got to walk into Kibera which I found out use to be a lake I think… but if you can think of a lake that was turned into a landfill and then people decided to build houses on this land… that still doesn’t even begin to describe Kibera. Once we arrived at the church, I had to lie down. I listened in on the AIDS support group meeting. I had a fever so I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon resting in the office. I know God will strengthen my body when He wants me to be strong but until then I will rely on God’s strength and do the best that I can while I am sick. We left to go pick up Lydia at the airport around 6:30pm (Lydia is our mentor and my roommate for the summer). Martha told me to take tomorrow off and rest. Once we got back to the convent we tried to get Lydia all caught up and had some Kenyan tea. Then it was time for bed.
Wednesday 10 June 2009
"But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds," declares the LORD Jeremiah 30:17I took the day off like Martha told me to. Today was the worst so far as far as being sick. I started having chest pain and it took almost all my energy to just breathe sometimes. I spent the day in bed and for most of it I just slept and prayed. The spiritual warfare in Kenya is strong. I could feel the devil trying to pull my spirit down because I was not well enough to go into Kibera and serve the Lord like the rest of my team. I will be content whatever the circumstance. I feel like I have grown so much in the past week and a half and I LOVE IT! God has been so good to me and I know that He is in control. I will not lose faith.
Thursday 11 June 2009
So Lydia went with me to the doctor today. I have a chest infection. By the afternoon I was already feeling much better though I hated keeping Lydia behind and not being able to go to the property. The property and Kibera are polar opposites by the way. By nightfall, my chest was doing much better and the stomach pain wasn’t as severe. I am not going to lie, the past few days have been HARD… but that is the Christian life… the Christian walk is meant to be HARD… the Bible NEVER says it is going to be easy. This is just another trial for me. Thanks so much for all the prayers.
Friday 12 June 2009
Another day off for the team. I am almost back to my 100% feeling better self. I know God will continue to heal my body is that is what He chooses to do. Around 11am or so, Caroline, Purity, and Wycliffe came and picked us up. We took a Matatu all the way to the Village Market (which is farther than downtown). There were a ton of white people!!! It was HILARIOUS! lol. So we ate lunch. I ate some PIZZA, which was a GREAT change. Haha. My stomach can only take so much Kenyan food I think. Then we got to go bargain with the locals. It was SO much fun! O yeah and I saw a British army vehicle today with a British army guy in it! The short term (2-week) MTW team will come in tonight and then our team will have a meeting with Pastor Makuku about what all is going to be going down the next few weeks. PTL I am feeling better and have recovered so quickly! The Lord has been so gracious to me.
I miss Alabama. I miss my family. I miss my church family. I miss my friends. But do not fear, for I will see you again soon! I will continue to pray that God is working in your life as much as He has been working in mine. God Bless!
Until Next Week,
LG
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment