Sunday, June 28, 2009

Week 4: A Rough Week

Saturday 20 June 2009
Today we went into Kibera and led a VBS for over 100 kids. We sang songs and then read/acted out the story about Jonah and the Big Fish! The kids are on midterm break… yes the kids in Kenya go to school Monday through Saturday. They are in school for 3 months and then out of school for a month… yes parents YEAR ROUND SCHOOL! They get the months of April, August, and December off. William and I had planned on doing crafts for the kids as part of the four rotations (Bible Study Explained, Games, Songs, and Crafts) but the Lord had bigger plans for us. William and I soon learned that we would just be doing crafts with the youngest kids (2 and under for the most part) for the entire 2 hours. We had at least 50-60 kids in our room. IT WAS AMAZING! Teacher Abigail told me at the very beginning to retell the story with her translating to the little ones, which I did. None of the kids I was playing with spoke English so that was FUN! Haha. PTL for all the teachers and faculty that came out and helped us! We passed out coloring sheets for all the kids and one crayon. They LOVED it! Then we fed the kids because for some it would be the only food they would have to eat until school lunch on Monday. Lunch was butter and jelly sandwiches, which Kenyans love. Throughout the morning the kids almost doubled. It was VERY loud but so much fun! It was such a success and glory be to the Lord! Plus Pastor told us that we would be taking Monday off for a day of much needed rest!

Sunday 21 June 2009
We went back into Kibera this morning for church service. Jacob shared his testimony with the older youth Sunday school class and we sang “Amazing Grace”. Joshua gave the sermon today in church. It was on How to Be a Christian and it was very good. The best English sermon I have heard since arriving in Kenya! Haha. A little girl fell asleep on me during service. Have I mentioned there is NO such thing as personal space in Kenya? There is NO such thing as personal space in Kenya. Kids constantly want to touch you because you are white and hairy. They love to pull or touch your arm hair. It fascinates them. We are reading LOTR out loud as a team. It is so much fun and a good bonding experience.

Monday 22 June 2009
YAY for a day off! I bought orange mango juice at the Nakumatt Karen yesterday after church and I had some for breakfast this morning. It was SO good. Mangos are just awesome in Kenya. A lot of things taste so much better here. (It is because most things are made with pure sugarcane in Kenya.) I have lost my voice a few times already and am beginning to get sick again. I know it is from all the dust, smoke, and exhaust that my body is just not use to. I rested and read off and on all day.

Tuesday 23 June 2009
I didn’t sleep at all last night because my body was hurting so much from all the coughing. I went to the doctor this morning and he confirmed that is from all the dust and such. I started taking 3 medicines which included a cough syrup. Every single time I swallow it hurts. My chest is congested and I have had a fever off and on for four days now. My ears are killing me from sinus pressure and drainage. I am truly miserable but I know this is where God wants me to be. Lydia stayed behind with me today. PTL for a great mentor. I’m physically tired from the lack of sleep but rest is so hard to get when you are coughing every 5 seconds. I continue to pray that God will allow me to be content and give me peace about being sick while I am here in Kenya to serve. Some days I truly feel more like a burden to my team than a blessing but I know that is Satan whispering lies in my ears. All afternoon there was a goat outside my window that would NOT be quiet! Plus I had a rooster that apparently has NO sense of time. lol. Nothing too exciting happened today.

Wednesday 24 June 2009
So another day of me not going into Kibera with my team. I didn’t sleep again last night so I really didn’t have the energy or strength to go today. My chest doesn’t hurt as much today. My nose is running a lot and I am coughing a ton. I think my ribs are starting to bruise because of all the coughing. My body feels so limp and weak. However, I got my package from mom today and it lifted my spirits greatly. I still don’t understand why Sarah sent me cat fur… but it’s the thought that counts right??

Thursday 25 June 2009
I am finally starting to feel better, PTL! Amen. I stayed behind again today. The power was out at the convent most of the day. Lydia stayed back with me again today to keep an eye on me. I finally fell asleep around 8am and slept until 1130am. IT WAS SO AWESOME! It rained today. I am continuing to trust God throughout all of this. We have scheduled our safari for July 17-19. I thought about the Gummy Bear Song today, ask all the kids who went to Strength to Stand or my mom. At the end of the day, I am feeling much better. I am still coughing but other than that I am feeling okay.

Friday 26 June 2009
Today is the team’s day off. I’m feeling much better after a full nights rest. I am still coughing a whole lot. We rode to Mount Longonot (about a 2 hour drive). The team hiked up the mountain. It was very beautiful. It was so nice to see another part of Kenya. We finished the first LOTR movie tonight as a team. It was SO much fun! Thanks mom! The sisters even brought us popcorn and ASKED TO WATCH THE MOVIE WHEN WE WERE DONE! Haha.

Saturday 27 June 2009
THE HALFWAY POINT! Today marks four weeks of being in Kenya. I have 4 weeks and one day until I get on the airplane that takes me back to the states. Time has really flown by lately. I am really going to miss Kenya. It is so beautiful and so different from home. The people are mostly Christians and are so full of joy and helpful. I walked to the Nakumatt in the morning to buy more juice. Lydia, Josh, and I took a Matatu back and it had 25 people in it! IT WAS INSANE! When Pastor came HE BROUGHT MAIL! I received 6 letters! Thanks so much guys! Today we led a football (soccer) Bible camp for kids 12 years and older. We played soccer for an hour (well ½ the team did along with all the kids). Lauri, Joanna, and I helped Caroline and Purity make butter and jelly sandwiches. Then we sang songs. Then we split into guys and girls to have a time of Bible study. Lauri shared part of her testimony with the girls. Then it was food time for the kids. Afterwards we got everyone in a circle to pray (about 80-90 kids). After prayer some of the guys ran into the middle of the circle hitting jugs with sticks and making music with their hands. They sang “Happy Birthday” to Pastor Makuku who turned 49 years old today. It was so much fun to be with my team again.

Sunday 28 June 2009
Neema: Grace
Imani: Faith
Mungu: God
Shetani: Devil
Upendo: Love
Tumaini: Hope

Those are the words I learned in Church this morning in Kibera. I don’t know if I have mentioned this but Pastor says the way they worship is very Pentecostal but they way they preach is very Reformed and that is SO true! Joanna shared her testimony with the older youth Sunday school class. Jeffery preached today so of course I didn’t understand a single word for the most part. I know he preached from Judges 7. I had pizza for lunch and the girls switched roommates today. (We switch every 2 weeks) Nothing too much has happened. I am still feeling well but coughing a lot. Sometimes breathing takes a lot of energy. My asthma is having a rough time, but God has been giving me strength each and every day He chooses to. God willing I will not get very sick again.

Thanks again for all the many prayers that you have lifted up. Continue to pray. My team is constantly at war with Satan and his demons. George, Jacob, and Lauri have been battling colds. Joshua recently found out that his best friend’s (Kate) dad has a brain tumor and another one of his very close friends is in a coma (He is serving in Iraq) and the doctors have given him 24 hours. Jacob is planning his wedding from thousands of miles away. Joanna’s brother just had major jaw surgery a week ago but is doing well. The devil is hard at work every day. He is constantly trying to pull us down. These are some of the many prayer requests. Continue to pray that we will Stand Firm. Pray that we will focus on Christ and not stray from His path. Pray that will we not feel guilt when we are sick and can’t go out with our team. Just PRAY! I miss and love you all and can’t wait to share many stories.

God Bless!
LG

PS. If you are sending mail, please don’t send anything after the 4th of July. THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment