Saturday 11 July 2009
Joanna and I worked on our Bible study that we are going to teach the older youth girls this afternoon during the morning part of the day. I have started to read a book called "Where Soldiers Fear to Tread". It is a relief worker's tale of survival in Somalia. It's really good so far. We went to Uhuru Gardens in the afternoon to play football (Soccer) and teach Bible study to the older youth from Kibera. The Bible study that Joanna and I led was about the 5 women mentioned in Matthew 1. It went well. Since Opal and Tom were here, they took us out to eat at this super fancy place for dinner. Dessert was the best though. I ordered fudge cake, which was almost like a giant swiss roll with fudge on top. Pastor's van had some issues throughout the day but at the end of it we figured out the true problem. (PTL!)
Sunday 12 July 2009
Not much happened today. The power was out this morning. We ended up being late to Sunday School. However, George preached on Suffering this morning and the sermon was excellent. The rest of the day I spent reading... nothing too exciting.
Monday 13 July 2009
HAPPY 16TH BIRTHDAY LITTLE SISTER! I found out today that tomorrow will be my last day in Muthiga. I spent most of the day with Nancy. I helped prepare the chai tea at Nancy's house this morning. She taught me how to grill corn like they do here. She showed me some of her pictures. I met Hannah (Wanyora) who has 4 children. The youngest being Martin who is possibly one of the cutest and smartest 2 yr. olds I have ever met. I met Bernerdate (Ngina) who is expecting her 1st child soon and Eunice. I am now a part of the Kikuyu tribe as well as the Luhya tribe. My Luhya name is Nelima which simply means born when people are tilling land preparing to plant. Kikuya is the main (only) tribe in Muthiga. Grace is Kikuya is Wega. But my Kikuyu name is Wairumu Njambi. Today was a day to remember. I love Muthiga.
Here are some more Kikuyu phrases:
Hello: Wimwega
I'm Fine: Nikwega
Friend: Murata
I'll see you soon: Tuonane
Praise the Lord: Mwathani Agoaoo
God Bless You: Ngai Akurathime
I love you: Ningwendete
Tuesday 14 July 2009
Today was my last day in Muthiga. I got to do home visits with George, Nancy, Tony, and Hannah. This time I was much better at it. God gave me strength and He stretched me. I got to see my little baby boy again. He has gotten so big. His name is Sendric Kiambuthi. His mom's name is name is Irene Nduta. One of the women I met today has only lived in Muthiga for 2 wks. She use to live in/near the Rift Valley but when the elections happened she and her family where chased out by other tribes. It is so amazing to see God at work here in Kenya. I saw Hannah's house today. It was beautiful. Saying goodbye today was really hard... but I try not to think of it as Goodbye but See you Later because I know one day I will see them again.
Wednesday 15 July 2009
We took a matatu to Kibera this morning after walking to Karen. I worked with Teacher Josephine. I taught Grade 1 Science (Air)... then Break with Chai Tea... Grade 5 English (Abstract Nouns). I practiced my Kiswahili afterwards. After we left Kibera, Pastor handed out mail! The days I get mail are the best! A BIG special thanks to everyone who has sent me something. It has meant more than you know!
Thursday 16 July 2009
10 days left in Kenya. Time has flown by this month. We went into Kibera again today. Teacher Josephine has me laughing all morning. I got to read a lot of my Grade 5 English papers that were about me today. They were so awesome. Teacher Josephine told them to correct their mistakes and I get to keep the final copies! I am so excited! I took quite a few pictures today! YAY! My Kiswahili has improved so much these past few weeks! The short term medical team arrives tomorrow. We watched The Lion King today in preparation for Safari tomorrow! (awesome I know)
Friday 17 July 2009 (SAFARI)
Today we loaded up and headed to Safari. It is a 4-5 hour trip plus we stopped to eat lunch. Before we even got to the campground we saw 4 giraffes on the side of the road! It was AWESOME! The campground is a lot nicer than I thought it was going to be. Each tent has 2 beds and the beds are huge! It has a small desk and a chair. It was GREAT! There were toilets that flushed too! After putting our stuff in our tents, we had about an hour and a half until we were going to leave for Safari! (too hot) Lauri and I are rooming together. Anyways then we headed out to Safari! I saw baby gazelles, baby elephants, baby zebras, wildebeasts, and all the big animals of the baby ones! AND THEN WE SAW 3 BABY LION CUBS ALL ALONE! Shortly afterwards, we found a male and female lion. It was AWESOME! The sunset was beautiful. O and the stars out here are incredible!
Saturday 18 July 2009 (Safari)
TODAY IS DAY 50 IN KENYA! I have been in Kenya for 50 days. That is so Awesome! The wind was awful last night so I didn't sleep much. Breakfast and then back to Safari land! Today I saw warthogs, hippos, cheetahs, zebras, giraffes, gazelles, buffalo, and more lions! I took pictures until my camera died. Safari was one of the coolest experiences ever. It was so beautiful. I saw the sunset again today. (totally awesome)
Sunday 19 July 2009
So I woke up this morning to find out that there were elephants RIGHT outside my tent last night. Apparently the night before we arrived, an elephant attacked a woman so the park rangers had to shot it. (12 shots) So all these elephants were going to find the "missing (dead) elephant". This morning Lawerence and Kennedy, 2 Maasai Warriors, took Jacob, George, Joahuya, and I on a hike. Kennedy had a spear and Lawerence had a bow and arrow. (totally cool I know) We were going to see the remains of the elephant but there were a bunch of other elephants at the sight surrounding the dead one and burying it. So after Lawerence told us to leave (because it was too dangerous), Kennedy lead us away quickly and quietly so we wouldn't be stomped on by elephants. Apparently, elephants bury and then lay sticks over a dead elephant. Then they get hungry and mean... so that's why we left. There are black mambas around where we camped... I could have gone without knowing that. lol. I saw more giraffes today while we were on our hike. (about 10-12) When they run it looks like they are running in slow motion. It is so funny to watch. Lawerence almost shot one of them with his bow and arrow. We saw baboons on the drive home. We didn't get back in until around 8pm. The short term medical team was in the dining hall when we arrived but they were busy so we didn't bother them.
So that is about it for Week 7. I probably won't update about Week 8 until July 31 after I get home. Keep the team and I in your prayers as we will be leaving soon and have to say goodbye. Pray for our travels as we fly home. Pray that we will adjust well once we get back to the states. Pray that we will be able to share our story in a way that glorifies God. I miss ya'll and I can't wait to see you again!
God Bless,
Grace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment