Monday 20 July 2009
The team was back in Kibera today. There is a short term medical team from Missouri with us. I hung out with Teacher Josephine in the morning and helped teach classes. I shared my Peanut M&Ms with her and Teacher Anne. They loved them. In the afternoon, I helped the medical team with the kids... making sure the kids were paying attention to the doctors when they were telling them about their medicines. Today the medical team looked at all the kids that went to school where we help teach at. Almost all of the children went to see them since this is one of the few times they will ever see a doctor. (especially an American doctor) Later when we were back at the convent, one of the doctors said that he thinks almost all the kids he saw are HIV+ (which is probably true) So that was heartbreaking to hear. It was a long day because we didn't leave Kibera until all the kids who wanted to be seen were seen.
Tuesday 21 July 2009
So recently I have been thinking a lot about something Jacob said in one of our "rumination" times: "Don't think of leaving Kenya as leaving the mission field, but think like this is just you moving from one mission field to another." I really like that a lot. It has helped me a lot. It is a very good way to look at how we approach going home. Today I went into Kibera. I got to help David with ultrasounds, which was amazing. The first pregnant woman that I saw came in for a check-up and found out she is having TWINS! It was the first time I had ever been beside someone when they were getting an ultrasound done. It was so amazing. The God we serve is so amazing and David just kept saying all the reason why God is so cool. It was a really awesome day. Some of the women were so surprised that they could actually see their baby while it was inside them... or see their heartbeat... or even better see their unborn child's heartbeat! I felt really blessed today. Lunch wasn't served until 4pm today and trust me everyone was hungry by then! It was a long day but a great day... a day I hope never to forget.
Wednesday 22 July 2009
I was back in Kibera again today. While the medical team was setting up, I helped Teacher Josephine with Grade 5 English (learning about how to use can't and must). Then I took tea with her. It was rainy and cold today which was LAME. After tea, I helped David with ultrasounds. We saw FOUR pregnant women today. It was so much fun! Today was the medical teams last day in Kibera, which was sad. We had ugali for lunch. (the staple food for most Kenyans) It was a good day.
Thursday 23 July 2009
Today Pastor is taking the medical team to Muthiga so we are walking to Karen to catch a matatu to go to Kibera. We met Carol, Purity, and Wycliffe in Karen. George, Josh, and I took a matatu to Karen (instead of walking) and went to the Nakumatt. I thought as I was walking into Kibera how I would only walk these streets one more time before leaving to go home. I tried to capture everything I saw in my mind... I have so many memories that I hope never to forget. Today was my last day of teaching. I saw my Grade 4 students for Math and my Grade 5 students for English (collective nouns). Teacher Josephine told Grade 5 that it was my last day teaching before I left. It was so sad. I have grown to love those kids so much. As I took tea during break, Joanna said, "Can you believe this is the last time we will take tea in Kibera?" The thought hadn't even come across my mind until then. It was a sad day. At the end of the day I had to tell Kuku (Teacher Josephine) goodbye. It was my hardest goodbye. I think we hugged at least 4-6 times before she actually left to go home. I didn't cry but that is only because of the strength God has given me these past few days. I really think I'll come back to Kenya. (God willing) The medical team offered to take us (the interns), Pastor and his family, Wycliffe, Purity, and Carol out to dinner at Carnivore. It was a nicer place to eat. The interns along with Wycliffe, Purity, and Carol decided to walk and meet the rest of the crew at Carnivore. As we started to walk, I started to lose my voice...
Friday 24 July 2009
When I woke up this morning, I couldn't talk at all. Today is our off day. I finished reading the Bondage Breaker today; it was amazing! Today was just spent in silence (since I couldn't talk) and reflection. I can't believe I fly out in 2 days. The summer has just flown by!
Saturday 25 July 2009
I still can't talk. Tomorrow I will start my journey home. We spent most of the day at the Shuname Shelter with the girls and the Nakumatt. We had bought them a new oven because theirs broke with the rest of our ministry money. It was a fun time. I am going to miss these girls and singing and dancing with them.
Sunday 26 July 2009
My last day in Kenya. William shared his testimony during Kibera Youth Sunday School and Lydia taught the lesson. (Col. 1:1-14) It was really good. Church service was great. I am going to miss KRPC. I'm going to miss the youth boys and how they run up onto the stage and sing and dance. I'm going to miss Phillip playing the drums and the boys blowing whistles. I'm going to miss Carol and Purity leading worship with the Shuname girls. I'm going to miss the random shouting to the Lord. I'm going to miss prasing the Lord outloud with the congregation. (even though it took awhile to get use to) I'm going to miss how relax the church setting is. Pastor Makuku took us to Java House for lunch. It was fitting since Java House is where this journey began. So it ended like it started.
I want to really thank all of you. The people who have prayed for me and supported me. The people who have taken the time to read my updates and thought of me throughout the summer. Asante sana!! (Thanks so much)
May God Bless You as Much as He has Blessed me this Summer,
Neema
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment